Skip to main content

Sewing for the husband: K3422 Review




 Today is Super Bowl Sunday here in the United States, which is a pretty big deal here in this house, at least that is for my husband and my boys,lol.  But today, I wanted to make a quick post on this shirt Kwik Sew 3422. This pattern is actually an oldie but goodies, but still a great pattern.

I made view B

 This was my very first time making something for my husband. I normally just hem his work uniforms or sew patches onto his military uniforms, but had never up until now, made him something. I know, that is terrible,lol. And trust me he lets it be known quite often,lol.





This pattern is really awesome and comes together relatively quickly. I tissue fitted the pattern, as is a must for me to ensure I get a great fit, or close to it. Upon tissue fitting the pattern, I realized that the center back nor the center front were meeting in their respective places, so I started my way from the back and worked back to the front. I learned this from one of my Craftsy courses. I just love those courses!


So my fabric had a little stretch to it, which was just a plaid cotton that I picked up from Mood fabrics a year ago. I started with the XL sizing for my husband and made a 1 1/2 broad back alteration, and added 1/2 on the sides. I also lengthened the pattern 2 inches.

 
Add caption




For techniques, I used the burrito technique to the yoke, which I learned from Janet's Pray, "Sew Better, Sew Faster: Shirt making. Her techniques are amazing! They are easy and without all the extra fluff; just how I like it.


 Overall, I could not be more pleased with this shirt for my hubby. He said, that it fit well and was really comfortable,yay! I have a little bit of this fabric left over, so I may be able to squeeze one out for one of my boys. We'll see! My birthday is coming up soon, and I've already start the cutting process for my dress, which is V1471, but hopefully I can finish in time. Well, I'm off to start on my dress. I just need to go and pick up the gross grain ribbon. You guys have a great weekend!


               ~Be blessed and nothin' less and continue to stay fearlessly fierce! Candice 

Comments

  1. Nice job! Your husband looks good in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Job. I have not sewn for my Hubby any nice shirts yet. I've only made him PJ's and joggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats awesome. Seems like he enjoys it. I have never sewn one thing for my hubby either. Suppose I better get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natisha! I'm just glad that my guilty conscious is gone, now that I've finally made something for the hubby,lol..

      Delete
  4. Omg! What an outstanding job! Your hubby must be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shirt Candice! I should sew for my hubby as well! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Sue :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! I know I commented on your blog, but that coat that you made recently, the mustard colored one. I can't stop thinking about it. It was so amazing!

      Delete
  6. Fabulous shirt Ms. Candice! I can't believe this is your first one, are you doing amazing job and it looks perfect on your husband! Look out Lady you may have just started something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Myra! Yes, the hubby has put in his request for more shirts,lol!

      Delete
  7. ...BTW, Happy Birthday month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job!!! I should make something for my husband. Happy early Birthday!!! Can't wait to see your birthday dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shamj! Girl, now this man of mine may be hooked, but he just doesn't know that I am a selfish seamstress,lol!

      Delete
  9. Great job! I love the photo too ... very professional looking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tip on the Craftsy class. I've been wanting to invest in more classes but it's so hard to choose with so many mixed reviews. Great looking shirt too, I love your work space and "runway"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! Yes, I highly recommend any of Janet Pray's classes, especially her shirt-making class.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's a ruffle kinda of season :Vogue 9243

Guys have you ever started a project, and were quite excited to make the garment, but halfway through finishing, you suddenly lose interest? Well, that was my story. I have never been so ready to call a garment done in my life,lol.


This pattern is seriously not hard at all, technique wise, that is. I mean, once you get over having to hem those four flounces if you do the view that I made, which is view F. However,  I'm just kinda of meh about this project. I  think because I loved McCall's 7542 so much, and was hoping the same for this top too, but nope!



 The neckline on this one is enormously large! I didn't catch this when I tissue fitted the pattern, but I have been more diligent in exercising and eating better, so I don't know; maybe I lost a few pounds, which could have caused the neckline to be large. However, if you look closely at the model on the cover, it looks to be a little large on the model's neckline as well, so something to note.



 Let's get …

I'm just here for the sleeves: M7542

It's no secret, that these sleeves are in everywhere now days! I'm mean, I'm just here for the sleeves myself,lol.

 I loved this pattern at first glance, and I even loved all of the other views that were accompanied within the pattern. I don't think that has every happened for me, now that I  think about it.


 Now looking over the instructions prior to starting this project, I was fairly confident that everything was going to be a breeze, and they were for the most part( however comma) (yes I had to write it out because I would totally say this in real life, lol!)

However, those darn sleeves gave me a run for my money, well not the sleeve itself, but the hem!




 I'm no rookie when it comes to hemming curved hems, or so I thought, because every method I tried was basically like, nope, try again, LOL! 
 After what seemed like an eternity and having to re-cut out an entirely different flounce, I was able to get a decent hem on the flounce of the sleeve. I just used Mc…

The three pattern dress that took a month to finish:Simplicity 8383

Guys so my sewing mojo has been pretty much non- existent-hence the reason it has taken me over a month to finish the hem of this simple dress,lol..  This dress is Simplicity 8383 and I was so gun-ho  in making this dress, that I went out and purchased the pattern and paid full price, as I couldn't bare to wait the shipping out, then only to take a month to hem said dress that I just had to have :)..

This pattern is very easy. If you have any sewing experience, the instructions would not be of importance to you. The view that I made, view C, has only four pattern pieces:front, back, neck band, and the arm hole binding pattern pieces for the arm holes. I made the 16 and added four inches to the dress and I was still only able to do a tiny hem, so be mindful if you're only the taller end like myself. For the fabric, I used a rayon blend knit fabric that I purchased from a local vendor here in Hawaii some time ago, and I really adore the drape and movement of this fabric.



I al…