Whew! October came and went it seemed like, didn't it? I started this top sometime at the beginning of October, and just recently had the opportunity to put the buttons on. Life has been insanely busy, especially with homeschooling my little people and then my husband had been on deployment, so any free time that I normally would get- I had been trying to just rest! I use to feel so guilty for needing a little break, but I got over that real quick, LOL!
|Do you ever make a garment using the same color scheme as|
the garment photo?
I know from previous experience that New Look patterns, for me, tend to need alterations and this pattern was no exception. However, I decided to heed the advice from one of my fitting classes on Craftsy.com, which the instructor recommended when you are fitting patterns to start the alterations at the back. I must say this was such an eye opener for me. For instance, I no longer needed the FBA that I assumed that was needed. Seeing as prior to making the wide back alteration, the pattern was not meeting at my center front; however, after the broad back alteration, the pattern was now able to meet my center front properly. I'm not sure that this would work on every pattern, but I sure am going forward with fitting the back area first.
Also, along with the wide back alteration, I added a 1/2 an inch to the side seams, which in retrospect, really wasn't necessary. I just wanted to ensure that I got the relaxed fit that I envisioned. So here are the basic constructions notes:
- The fabric for the bodice was a cotton, poly blend that was just delightful to sew with :)... Please hear the sarcasm here,lol. The skirt, bottom portion was some type of rayon blend.
- I made a straight size 18 in this pattern.
- I added 1 inch to back for broad back and 1/2 inch to the side seams.The pattern called for 9 1/2 buttons. 3 buttons for the top half and 6 contrasting buttons for the bottom half.
|I tried getting a good picture of the back, but the wind had other plans, I guess|
Overall, this is extremely, well put together pattern. I didn't run into any issues with the view that I made,view D, so I am pleased as punch with this pattern. I'm even thinking of making another one of the views, since I know what alterations need to be made, and plus this pattern does come together rather nicely. Well, that's all I have for now you guys. I hope to get another project started this week, fingers crossed.
~ As Always Be Blessed and Nothin' Less and Continue to Stay Fearlessly Fierce! Candice