Skip to main content

What the "magic closet" can do for a seamstress: Burda 6829







   You guys you want to know a little secret? I made this dress last year for my nine year wedding anniversary; however, I did not blog about it-simply because I hated it on me. This isn't my first time making this dress, as I made this dress before and reviewed it here. .


 You see, I had an event that I needed something a little dressy for an event this past weekend, and knew due to time constraints that I wouldn't have time to make anything new from scratch. So, I pulled out Burda 6829 from the throws of the back of my closet, just to see if anything had changed.

You guys that's been following me for awhile know I love playing with different hairstyles and looks *hence the long
ponytail :)..



Well, I'm so glad that I put this dress in the "magic closet" that you often hear in the sewing community. Because in doing so, I now had a sort of, new dress that I now loved! As seamstress, we can sometimes be so darn dramatic,lol! But there was a small issue! You see, I made this dress when we were stationed in Texas, but now we are stationed in Hawaii, which  is warm all year round; so I knew that I needed to remove the sleeves, in order to be able to wear this dress while here.



Before chopping the sleeves off..Oh, and my little lady says Hi!
LOL, do you see the toddler size finger print marks, sigh! I just love
her :)..






  For this iteration, I made the dress exactly the same, but you know that half an inch that I said that I would add if I ever made this again? Well, I added 1" to the side seams, HA! I made this dress in the largest size; this dress does not give you any wish or hope that your exercise regime is gaining momentum,LOL! I'm so glad that I added to waist for this one. It just makes the dress so much more comfortable to wear, ya know?! I also used a black Ponte knit for this dress. I know for myself, it just makes everything stay where it's supposed to :)..





   I wanted to mention also that I was a little concerned with taking the sleeves off and not having the seam allowance anymore. I was praying that it didn't cause too much of an issue with the armhole area. I thought that due to time, I would add a knit binding to the sleeve area, nope! It wasn't enough seam allowance, without showing to much skin in this area. So, I had to cut out the facing pieces, boo hoo, and slip-stitch them down, ugh! But, the bright side is that I had leftover black Ponte from the Simplicity pants that I made recently, yes! There's always lemonade to be made, when life throws you lemons, right? Right!

 


Overall, I am so glad that I made the necessary adjustments to this dress, and now have a new little black dress that now has a purpose in my closet :)!  Well, that's all I have for now. I'm going to re-work a McCall's dress, that I put in timeout this weekend,lol.. But, I'll talk more on that later, but I hope everyone has a great week ahead. I can't wait to see all your lovely creations!

As always, be blessed and nothin' less, and continue to stay fearlessly fierce! ~Candice

Comments

  1. I absolutely love it on you Candice. You look amazing Momma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is proof that magic closets exist! I really like your dress! You look stunning in it, and I am glad that you pulled it out of your closet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so beautiful, Candice. I really like without the sleeves. You look beautiful as always - I love the long ponytail.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's a ruffle kinda of season :Vogue 9243

Guys have you ever started a project, and were quite excited to make the garment, but halfway through finishing, you suddenly lose interest? Well, that was my story. I have never been so ready to call a garment done in my life,lol.


This pattern is seriously not hard at all, technique wise, that is. I mean, once you get over having to hem those four flounces if you do the view that I made, which is view F. However,  I'm just kinda of meh about this project. I  think because I loved McCall's 7542 so much, and was hoping the same for this top too, but nope!



 The neckline on this one is enormously large! I didn't catch this when I tissue fitted the pattern, but I have been more diligent in exercising and eating better, so I don't know; maybe I lost a few pounds, which could have caused the neckline to be large. However, if you look closely at the model on the cover, it looks to be a little large on the model's neckline as well, so something to note.



 Let's get …

I'm just here for the sleeves: M7542

It's no secret, that these sleeves are in everywhere now days! I'm mean, I'm just here for the sleeves myself,lol.

 I loved this pattern at first glance, and I even loved all of the other views that were accompanied within the pattern. I don't think that has every happened for me, now that I  think about it.


 Now looking over the instructions prior to starting this project, I was fairly confident that everything was going to be a breeze, and they were for the most part( however comma) (yes I had to write it out because I would totally say this in real life, lol!)

However, those darn sleeves gave me a run for my money, well not the sleeve itself, but the hem!




 I'm no rookie when it comes to hemming curved hems, or so I thought, because every method I tried was basically like, nope, try again, LOL! 
 After what seemed like an eternity and having to re-cut out an entirely different flounce, I was able to get a decent hem on the flounce of the sleeve. I just used Mc…

The three pattern dress that took a month to finish:Simplicity 8383

Guys so my sewing mojo has been pretty much non- existent-hence the reason it has taken me over a month to finish the hem of this simple dress,lol..  This dress is Simplicity 8383 and I was so gun-ho  in making this dress, that I went out and purchased the pattern and paid full price, as I couldn't bare to wait the shipping out, then only to take a month to hem said dress that I just had to have :)..

This pattern is very easy. If you have any sewing experience, the instructions would not be of importance to you. The view that I made, view C, has only four pattern pieces:front, back, neck band, and the arm hole binding pattern pieces for the arm holes. I made the 16 and added four inches to the dress and I was still only able to do a tiny hem, so be mindful if you're only the taller end like myself. For the fabric, I used a rayon blend knit fabric that I purchased from a local vendor here in Hawaii some time ago, and I really adore the drape and movement of this fabric.



I al…