Skip to main content

A little culotte action with McCall's 7445




 Y'all, so I was really feeling the McCall's early fall release this season. I have several picks from this collection that I would like to eventually get to, but this Melissa Watson for Palmer Pletsch pattern M7445 had to be sewn up immediately!

I made view C





 Of course, there are literally thousands of culotte patterns, but I loved the pocket detailing on these pants. I don't know? I think it just made them that much cooler :).  What I love so much about the Palmer/Pletsch brand is that they include fitting tips in their patterns. I mean, how amazing is that right?! Well, I've been on a pants kick lately, especially, with taking several courses on Craftsy for fitting pants.




  For the fabric, I used a stretch denim, which meant I could have gone down a size in the hips, at least. I love tissue fitting because I don't always have extra time for muslin's, but that just shows how much fabric can differ from tissue fitting. I used my normal sizing at the moment, which is an 18 at the waist and below; however, with the stretch of this fabric- I could have gone down to a 16 in the hip area. I guess I just didn't want to over fit these pants, as these pants are designed to have a little ease. Culottes,in general should have a little ease,right?!


Just opted for a machine hem, as is seen in RTW culottes. 


 I think that this pattern is drafted wonderfully. I didn't have to make any adjustments to the pattern. I initially added an inch to the hem, but removed this extra length, because it made my pants appear to be to short, like "high water" pants territory, lol.. No, bueno! I just removed the extra length and all was good in the hood again,lol.

Inside shot of the zipper area. I interfaced this area. This pattern
is not drafted with a zipper shield, but one could easily alter
if you want a zipper shield in your pants. 

 You hear all the time people say, that pants making isn't difficult, and it's not! I think the most difficult part is the fitting. I mean, you can have a pair of pants fit in one fabric, but a change in fabrics, can produce different results at times. I still really do love pant sewing. I told you guys that along with being on a pants kick. I've also been on a Craftsy kick,lol! Well, I've been also taking a few classes from Janet Pray on Craftsy. Let me just say, publicly, if this woman was giving a class on ten different ways to say hello. I would be there,okay, LOL! This woman, knows her stuff, as simple as that!

The inside waistband and the zipper end done with the burrito technique. 
 I learned a new technique on finishing up the waistband, which differs heavily from the pattern instructions. Janet Pray, teaches how to do the "burrito technique" in finishing waistbands. I would explain, but I'm afraid that I would do it no justice.Y'all, it's amazing! You know how normal pattern instructions would have you to finish the end bits with a slipstitch, which is totally fine, but mines always came out a little "suspect", LOL! I know that Craftsy may not be everyone's jam, but seriously, some of the classes can really up your sewing game.


The outside waistband.. I am now a Janet Pray fan girl, yes indeed!

 I've also started sewing the crotch seam, just the curve with a stretch stitch.  This is to prevent your pants from splitting in the crotch or rear area. Have you ever sewn a pair of pants before that when you bent down to grab something, your pants split, or you heard that cracking of stitching sound? Yeah, we've all been there a time or two,lol. Well, you can use a stretch stitch in the crotch area, and no more cracking or breaking stitches in this area, at least, LOL!.



Well, you guys that's all I have for now. I am going start working on another McCall's pattern, but I promised the hubby a shirt first. Geesh, doesn't he know that I am a selfish seamstress,lol! For all my stateside peeps, I hope you guys all have a safe and wonderful Labor Day! And I hope you all have a wonderful week ahead!

  As always, Be blessed and nothin' less and continue to stay fearlessly fierce! ~Candice



Comments

  1. Cool culottes. You will be able to wear these so many ways. Would love to know more about that burrito method waistband sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sewmanju, thanks! I agree, that culottes can be worn in so many different ways. I will try and do this technique justice in another post,lol..

      Delete
  2. I love them! You look so comfortable, classy and beautiful. My stable is M7131.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sabrina! These culottes are so comfortable, and can be dressed up or down. I will have to check out M7131.

      Delete
  3. Candice, you are rocking these! Beautiful fit and construction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your culottes! Look at you, sewing pants like a professional, lol! I too am a Craftsy fan. I don't know that I have come across the Janet Pray class. What is it called? I have heard of the burrito method, but never tried it, or seen it illustrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! Right, I am such a huge Craftsy fan. The class that this technique was featured on was "Sew Better, Sew Faster, Shirtmaking" with Janet Pray.

      Delete
  5. Very beautiful, Candice. I love that hairstyle on you. You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute! I love the way you styled them with the shirt tied at the waist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pants are the bomb! Great job! I actually bought this pattern, too. It's so cool. I love this pattern so much that I accidentally bought it twice on two separate days. Ooops. So now I'll have to return one copy. Like you, I'm a big fan of craftsy. I've learned a lot through their classes. My boyfriend actually bought me a couple of pattern drafting classes for my birthday that I've been neglecting to watch. As soon as I finish up my current project, though, I'm going to dive in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carmen! Right, Craftsy is such an awesome platform, and I hope you get to your pattern drafting classes. I may have to check that one out.

      Delete
  8. Candice, you did a fabulous job sewing your pants. You're getting your monies worth on Craftsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I really enjoyed sewing these pants. I sure hope I get my monies worth, after all the money I spend on those classes,lol.. Thanks again, Kelly!

      Delete
  9. Love that you are a culottes fan! I've loved them for decades, through the shame years even, and am so glad to see that they're popular again. Might even get myself to make a pair again. Thanks for the post and you look adorable in them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marjorie! I'm glad that culottes seem to be back in style, as they are really a comfortable pant. Yes, you should definitely go ahead sew you up a pair of culottes also. Thanks again for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. SO fly!! Which Janet class you talking about? I love her too! I have all 3 sew better, sew faster classes lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasha! It was Janet Pray's "Sew Better, Sew Faster, Shirtmaking" class. Girl, yes, I've taken all of her classes too,lol!

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry, it's her Sew Better, Sew Faster Industry techniques class, sorry.

      Delete
  11. Cute. Cute. Cute!!!

    These are just perfect heading into fall!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm new to sewing! I have this pattern cut out and ready to see. I'm confused by the look of the zipper area. Do you know anyone who may have a tutorial for M7445. I need help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sammie, I hope you are having an awesome time learning to sew! The zipper area can appear to be tricky, but it's really not, just take it slow. The tutorial I would recommend would be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91gO3iE7YOU It's a Collen G tutorial and she is amazing. I hope this helps.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's a ruffle kinda of season :Vogue 9243

Guys have you ever started a project, and were quite excited to make the garment, but halfway through finishing, you suddenly lose interest? Well, that was my story. I have never been so ready to call a garment done in my life,lol.


This pattern is seriously not hard at all, technique wise, that is. I mean, once you get over having to hem those four flounces if you do the view that I made, which is view F. However,  I'm just kinda of meh about this project. I  think because I loved McCall's 7542 so much, and was hoping the same for this top too, but nope!



 The neckline on this one is enormously large! I didn't catch this when I tissue fitted the pattern, but I have been more diligent in exercising and eating better, so I don't know; maybe I lost a few pounds, which could have caused the neckline to be large. However, if you look closely at the model on the cover, it looks to be a little large on the model's neckline as well, so something to note.



 Let's get …

I'm just here for the sleeves: M7542

It's no secret, that these sleeves are in everywhere now days! I'm mean, I'm just here for the sleeves myself,lol.

 I loved this pattern at first glance, and I even loved all of the other views that were accompanied within the pattern. I don't think that has every happened for me, now that I  think about it.


 Now looking over the instructions prior to starting this project, I was fairly confident that everything was going to be a breeze, and they were for the most part( however comma) (yes I had to write it out because I would totally say this in real life, lol!)

However, those darn sleeves gave me a run for my money, well not the sleeve itself, but the hem!




 I'm no rookie when it comes to hemming curved hems, or so I thought, because every method I tried was basically like, nope, try again, LOL! 
 After what seemed like an eternity and having to re-cut out an entirely different flounce, I was able to get a decent hem on the flounce of the sleeve. I just used Mc…

Not singing the blues, but lovin' this chambray blue dress: Simplicity 1059 Review

Happy New Year y'all! It's a new year, full of new possibilities. In looking back on 2016,I must say that I really had a great year, introspectively speaking.

 In 2016, I really embraced all of who I am; learned more about myself and being okay with that! I say being being okay with that, simply because, we tend to allow ourselves to be boxed in, or we allow others to box us into their mold of who we should be according to their perception of us.





2016 taught me, that it's quite okay if you don't fit in a box, that truly being "Fearlessly Fierce"  ,  means to walk in "YOUR PURPOSE"! 
 For instance, I/you, may never be a seamstress that plays by the rules, making a muslin until you get the perfected fit or have the most couture finishes. 
 That's okay too! 2017, I plan to walk even more fearless in my purpose, in whatever capacity that it may be  for me..


 I am wishing each and everyone of you a wonderful and prosperous New Year. I hope that this …