Skip to main content

Simplicity 8094 Review




  

 
 Hey y'all! I have a new pattern to review. I mentioned in my last post that I wanted to make this top, Simplicity 8094. This particular style has been around and going strong for at least a year or two now, so I was too excited when Simplicity released this pattern. This top comes together relatively quickly, especially if you don't have any issues with your fabric choice (enter major side eye here,lol).  You can read all about my fabric issues here, sigh.
Simplicity 8094

  
  Okay, so remember when I said last post that I cut out patterns, and I even altered patterns right? I was tooting my own horn pretty hard,lol. Well, unbeknownst to me that not only with the fabric being poorly advertised per the listing- do you know that this fabric, after having cut everything out had the gall to have some type of tear through the fabric?! Yes, y'all, a straight up tear,ugh! Guys, this flaw was right at the neckline and shoulder seam. Now, this wouldn't have been much of an issue to lower the neckline a bit; however, I'd already altered the pattern to lower the neckline about two inches or so. So I really didn't have a lot of room in which to work with, and honestly I'm not sure how I missed this epic flaw, sigh!

I made a 1 inch neckband and twin needled down. Do you guys use a coverstitch?
If so, do you think it's worth it? Seriously, thinking about getting one.

  Y'all, I saw this flaw after I'd added my neckband and was proud of myself at how quickly I was breezing through this top; therefore, you can only imagine my frustration, right?! When I saw this- I think I just sat there for what seemed like eternity because I was so angry. I ended up throwing the shirt on my sewing bin and turning off the light in my sewing room for the night (I would have won best dramatic exit hands down that night,lol).  So, I got up bright and early the next morning and chopped off the offending part of the fabric, which caused the neckline to come down further. I assumed that I could just remedy this by bringing up the shoulder seams, yeah, this could have worked, but now you have side bust darts to contend with-double sigh! 

On the dressform, the darts are in the right spot; however, now with having to have alter the neckline, the darts now come up higher on me. It's not a deal breaker, because it's just a tad...

 Okay, so now we have the neckband reattached, the shoulder seams re-adjusted to make-up for the area on the neckline that needed to be readjusted, due to the flawed area in the fabric. You would think that all would be good in the hood again, right?! Wrong! Now, due to the shoulder seam readjustment, the bust darts were now no longer positioned in the bust area, but were now under my armpit,LOL! At this point, all you can do is LOL!  I really thought about axing this project and starting with another fabric, but I really wanted this fabric- because I adored the drape of this fabric so much. So, I embraced my inner "Tim Dunn" and made it work, hunny! I lowered the side darts and held my breath that this fabric would not have anymore "diva" moments and rip. Thankfully, though, this adjustment came together great!


Whew! I hope you're still reading by this point,lol. This top comes together really quickly, I started with a 16 bust and graded to an 18 at the hip. I lowered the neckline about 2", as I didn't like that the neckline came so far up. I added a 1" inch neckband, which I attached by sewing one shoulder seam and then applying the band, stretching only the band-attaching the band with the other side of the neckline and then sewing the shoulder seams together. I also sewed the sleeves in flat, this too me is the "bees knees" with sewing knits! For the side slit hems, I just did a basic hem for the bottom and sleeves also. Aside from the fabric horror, this pattern is great! I know that this top will be in heavy rotation, and I probably will get a few more in between now and the summer. Well y'all, I'm off to get some more things hopefully cut out, because it's spring break around these parts,yay! As always be blessed and nothin' less and continue to stay fearlessly fierce! ~ Candice

Comments

  1. Great make it work situation Candice. Beautiful tunic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great make it work situation Candice. Beautiful tunic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your top came out really nice. It is often through adversity that we achieve the greatest looks. Glad you stuck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your top came out really nice. It is often through adversity that we achieve the greatest looks. Glad you stuck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning! You look amazing in it.

    As for a coverstitch machine, I have one (got it amazingly cheap), but I rarely use it. I find a twin needle works as well. If you decide you have to have one, test drive one or all of them lots. Lots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ElleC! I thought that maybe a coverstitch would be just "added" space.. Thanks for your input!

      Delete
  6. I usually don't comment, but that was so funny. Been there. Done that. And wouldn'the you know it was on such a simple pattern. Anyway, you look so great I am going to make this tunic. Xxoo Karen minet1215@att.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment, it means a lot to me. I hope you get a chance to make this one, it really is a great pattern.

      Delete
  7. Sorry to here about your trouble with the fabric, regardless it came out beautiful. I picked the pattern up a week ago, can't wait to sew it thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Etta! I know you will like this pattern; I look forward to seeing your gorgeous version.

      Delete
  8. This pattern is on my summer sew list so it's great to see it made up so wonderfully on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn.. I'll probably get a few more of these sewn up myself, because this top is really comfy.. But you know what? I'm still thinking about your V1250, the maxi version. I seriously, love that dress and still have plans of making my own,lol!

      Delete
  9. Bahahaha I be pulling that same dramatic "turn off the light and walk out" move. TOO funny. You look beyond fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasha, thank you! Girl, I knew I couldn't be the only one who brings the "dramatics" LOL!

      Delete
  10. ROFL!!! OMG! You should see some of my exits! It's my nature to pick the most simple pattern and choose the worst fabrics! I feel you and the top is soooo cute! I think I'll make mine out of charmeuse sequined super-duper slick thin silk with a hint of peach skin micro fiber. (knowing me I have a piece). Watch me turn a "one hour" into two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, this fabric had me all of the way in my feelings,lol! Ooh, charmeuse sequined fabric, now that sounds like that will be one luxuries top, you go girl! And I know how those "one hour" projects turn into weeks,lol!

      Delete
  11. I twin-needled for years and years. Got the Cover probably and absolutely love it. I use the twin needles for decorative stitching now. How do you beat a quick, fabulous finish of the coverstitch? Not cheap, but probably the only one I will ever need. Granddaughter loves it too for her soccer shirts. Karen in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stupid software, that is Coverpro.

      Delete
    2. Karen, thank you so much for the advice. I normally don't have an issue with using a twin needle, but I know that some knits can behave differently. I may see if I can test one out this weekend at my local dealer.

      Delete
  12. I'm glad you were able to make it work. It looks really great and you styled it so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks The Sewing CPA! I enjoyed reading your blog post on your new dress, and I had to shake my head at those "Texas" summers, because I know how it gets there,lol..

      Delete
  13. What a FUN style! It looks super cute on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! I know this top will be constant rotation this Spring and Summer.

      Delete
  14. I've always said I like a great tee shirt and this is definitely one of them! You look amazing in it too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it Candace! I had to laugh too because I get hung up on the simple patterns too. One minor adjustment, that needs another adjustment, and so on...I'm glad your top turned out so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! It's so true how one adjustment often leads to many others,lol.

      Delete
  16. This looks fabulous on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. from the finished garment you can't tell all that sewing drama existed. I need to put this one on my list to purchase. You look fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This! No one will know unless you say something. =)

      I have a coverstitch machine (Janome Coverpro 1000) and while I rarely use it, I love it. I haven't twin-needled a hem or neckline since getting it. Definitely test drive a couple of machines before you decide.

      Delete
    2. Natisha, thanks lady! This is a great pattern, can't wait to see your fab version!

      Delete
  18. Thanks L! I think I will go test drive a few, as well as look on YouTube for a couple of samples.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm thinking of sewing this up in a woven challis print... pray for me lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nikol.joi, girl, I didn't know you had a blog! Yay, one of my favs IG fam is a blogger,too!

      Delete
    2. I totally forgot to mention that you are overly qualified for this easy top, girl you got this! I can't wait to see it..

      Delete
  20. Chic, mama, chic! You're looking regal. Love this top and how you styled it with the leggings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's a ruffle kinda of season :Vogue 9243

Guys have you ever started a project, and were quite excited to make the garment, but halfway through finishing, you suddenly lose interest? Well, that was my story. I have never been so ready to call a garment done in my life,lol.


This pattern is seriously not hard at all, technique wise, that is. I mean, once you get over having to hem those four flounces if you do the view that I made, which is view F. However,  I'm just kinda of meh about this project. I  think because I loved McCall's 7542 so much, and was hoping the same for this top too, but nope!



 The neckline on this one is enormously large! I didn't catch this when I tissue fitted the pattern, but I have been more diligent in exercising and eating better, so I don't know; maybe I lost a few pounds, which could have caused the neckline to be large. However, if you look closely at the model on the cover, it looks to be a little large on the model's neckline as well, so something to note.



 Let's get …

I'm just here for the sleeves: M7542

It's no secret, that these sleeves are in everywhere now days! I'm mean, I'm just here for the sleeves myself,lol.

 I loved this pattern at first glance, and I even loved all of the other views that were accompanied within the pattern. I don't think that has every happened for me, now that I  think about it.


 Now looking over the instructions prior to starting this project, I was fairly confident that everything was going to be a breeze, and they were for the most part( however comma) (yes I had to write it out because I would totally say this in real life, lol!)

However, those darn sleeves gave me a run for my money, well not the sleeve itself, but the hem!




 I'm no rookie when it comes to hemming curved hems, or so I thought, because every method I tried was basically like, nope, try again, LOL! 
 After what seemed like an eternity and having to re-cut out an entirely different flounce, I was able to get a decent hem on the flounce of the sleeve. I just used Mc…

The three pattern dress that took a month to finish:Simplicity 8383

Guys so my sewing mojo has been pretty much non- existent-hence the reason it has taken me over a month to finish the hem of this simple dress,lol..  This dress is Simplicity 8383 and I was so gun-ho  in making this dress, that I went out and purchased the pattern and paid full price, as I couldn't bare to wait the shipping out, then only to take a month to hem said dress that I just had to have :)..

This pattern is very easy. If you have any sewing experience, the instructions would not be of importance to you. The view that I made, view C, has only four pattern pieces:front, back, neck band, and the arm hole binding pattern pieces for the arm holes. I made the 16 and added four inches to the dress and I was still only able to do a tiny hem, so be mindful if you're only the taller end like myself. For the fabric, I used a rayon blend knit fabric that I purchased from a local vendor here in Hawaii some time ago, and I really adore the drape and movement of this fabric.



I al…