Skip to main content

Casual with a wee bit of sass Butterick 5678

DIY inifinty scarf do you know these things are expensive in RTW
No and thank you, I will make my own :)! I just used jersey fabric
that is too sheer and of bad quality to make a garment, and used it
for my DIY infinity scarf..

  I finished this shirt up on yesterday. I'm so glad that I did because this is will probably be my attire on Thanksgiving, casual with a little bit of sass, yes please! Butterick 5678 has been in my stash forever! There are some really great versions of this pattern floating around on the web and PR.  I made view D the longer shirt of the bunch.  I made an 18 and added about 1/2" to the hip area. I made sure to read through all of the reviews on PR and  all most everyone mentioned the unpleasantness of the ease in the sleeve cap. I did remove about 1/2 inch of ease in the sleeve cap and that seemed to do the trick. Here is an example of this particular alteration,this sewing diva really knows her stuff!

I didn't make a muslin but I did tissue
fit the pattern. Mismatch socks and all, tuh! It
gets real around these parts LOL! My sewing
room is a  mess, my baby girls little hand prints
all over my mirror :).

Close-up shot:Please excuse the wrinkles
I'd just taken the shirt off and wanted to get a few
close-ups


Simple serged insides


   I used a chambray type fabric for this shirt. It almost has a flannel type feel on the wrong side of the fabric, which makes for a pretty cozy shirt. I made view D; however, I left off the pockets due to them looking cray cray on me LOL... Y'all I really wanted those pockets too,sigh! I love, love the princess seams of this shirt, it creates such a feminine shape imho. I love the curved shape of the hem, and I used this technique for the hem. This technique really does make life so much easier! Now, is my shirt without fault? Absolutely. positively NOT bahahaha!


 


A few wrinkles in the lower back,but I'm
unbothered lol!

Now I've mentioned before that shirt-making is not hard at all; however, it is precise! I do need to work on my top-stitching and collars. I have all the dvds on shirt making, I'm signed up for the craftsy course, but in the long run; you have to practice! Nothing will trump practice,seriously! But although I had a little trouble with my collar, with having to redo it. I still am in love with this shirt! It so casual, yet I can dress it up a bit for a wee bit of sass, so to me that this is a win win!

 Overall, I found this pattern to be a great pattern. I loved the many different views, the options for pockets, tabs and the like. This is a pattern that you can truly make your own. I would definitely recommend this one and wouldn't mind making this one again, if I hadn't already cut out another shirt pattern :). And now I'm off to get a head start on some of this Thanksgiving baking. I  hope you lovelies all have a very wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday with plenty of good food, family and of course lots of sewing lol!

      ~Be blessed and nothin' less and continue to stay fearlessly fierce!

Comments

  1. Great shirt Candice. You are doing much better with your collar than I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice shirt. The fact that you continue trying will result in easier and precise collars in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I like the length. I made a couple of shirts when my fitting knowledge wasn't so great. I should try one again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Janet! Yes,I hope you give shirt making another go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shirt came out nice! I like the length too. I have a few shirt I need to sew up so I need to get on the ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabrina, I love the length too,as I like to have my bottom covered.. I hope you get to sewing up those shirts soon!

      Delete
  6. You look fantastic. Great job on the shirt. Thanks for sharing the curved hem link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job on the shirt. I love how you styled it with the scarf, bag and shoes. Thanks for the link on the hemline.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the shirt, especially in the chambray fabric. It's hard to find a tapered denim/chambray shirt that is long enough. I will certainly keep this pattern in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the color! and you can layer it too! good job :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic Candice! I love the whole outfit - especially the animal print. Fierce as always. Thanks for sharing your version of B5678; I need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much L! I know if you make this shirt, B5678 that it will be beautiful! Your work is outstanding,simply outstanding..

      Delete
  11. OMG! I love the shirt! I too have this pattern in my stash, and it's been there for quite some time. I don't know why I haven't made it yet, but you can believe it's going in my sewing queue right now! I really love the style of the shirt on you and the fabric you selected to make it in! IMO, I think your color and topstitching are awesome! From the photos it looks like you did a great job! Don't be so hard on yourself, but you're correct practice makes perfect! We're all still trying to perfect our game! You did an awesome job on this time, so much so that you have me wanting to make one too! I hope you had a Great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Myra! If you say my topstitching looks ok, then I'll be okay with it lol.. Because you are sewing genius, your work is top notch! I hope you have a great Thanksgiving as well Myra!

      Delete
  12. … I meant collar not color! Electronics you got a love them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have yet to make my first shirt of this kind. I need to jump head first and get it done. I have sew much ideas in my head. Just discovered your blog and love it. Your skills are amazing. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

    Natasha B|fashionablyfab.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much Natasha! Girl, I agree with you on just jumping head first and getting it done lol it's not scary, I promise lol. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving as well! I'm off to check out your blog, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's a ruffle kinda of season :Vogue 9243

Guys have you ever started a project, and were quite excited to make the garment, but halfway through finishing, you suddenly lose interest? Well, that was my story. I have never been so ready to call a garment done in my life,lol.


This pattern is seriously not hard at all, technique wise, that is. I mean, once you get over having to hem those four flounces if you do the view that I made, which is view F. However,  I'm just kinda of meh about this project. I  think because I loved McCall's 7542 so much, and was hoping the same for this top too, but nope!



 The neckline on this one is enormously large! I didn't catch this when I tissue fitted the pattern, but I have been more diligent in exercising and eating better, so I don't know; maybe I lost a few pounds, which could have caused the neckline to be large. However, if you look closely at the model on the cover, it looks to be a little large on the model's neckline as well, so something to note.



 Let's get …

I'm just here for the sleeves: M7542

It's no secret, that these sleeves are in everywhere now days! I'm mean, I'm just here for the sleeves myself,lol.

 I loved this pattern at first glance, and I even loved all of the other views that were accompanied within the pattern. I don't think that has every happened for me, now that I  think about it.


 Now looking over the instructions prior to starting this project, I was fairly confident that everything was going to be a breeze, and they were for the most part( however comma) (yes I had to write it out because I would totally say this in real life, lol!)

However, those darn sleeves gave me a run for my money, well not the sleeve itself, but the hem!




 I'm no rookie when it comes to hemming curved hems, or so I thought, because every method I tried was basically like, nope, try again, LOL! 
 After what seemed like an eternity and having to re-cut out an entirely different flounce, I was able to get a decent hem on the flounce of the sleeve. I just used Mc…

Not singing the blues, but lovin' this chambray blue dress: Simplicity 1059 Review

Happy New Year y'all! It's a new year, full of new possibilities. In looking back on 2016,I must say that I really had a great year, introspectively speaking.

 In 2016, I really embraced all of who I am; learned more about myself and being okay with that! I say being being okay with that, simply because, we tend to allow ourselves to be boxed in, or we allow others to box us into their mold of who we should be according to their perception of us.





2016 taught me, that it's quite okay if you don't fit in a box, that truly being "Fearlessly Fierce"  ,  means to walk in "YOUR PURPOSE"! 
 For instance, I/you, may never be a seamstress that plays by the rules, making a muslin until you get the perfected fit or have the most couture finishes. 
 That's okay too! 2017, I plan to walk even more fearless in my purpose, in whatever capacity that it may be  for me..


 I am wishing each and everyone of you a wonderful and prosperous New Year. I hope that this …