Skip to main content

McCall's 5791



 My little baby, who is actually quite not that little anymore had a birthday last week. It was her first birthday, so of course, I couldn't in good faith call my self a seamstress and not make my only baby girl a dress... I will say that I will not ever wait until the night of ones birthday to produce a garment, EVER again! I was torn between dresses, didn't know if I wanted to use a tulle underskirt; I was just all over the place. However, I ended going with M5791, a basic bodice with the gathered skirt. I made view "B" in a size medium. I didn't use the instructions, because I knew I wanted to add tulle, and an invisible zipper..
 
 
  I love that a full lining is included with this dress, but I wanted to a add a layer of tulle to the skirt, which was a last minute decision, but I love it! I had never sewn with tulle before, so I was a bit worried that I would screw something up, but I didn't, whew! I sewed (basted) the tulle directly to the fashion fabric ( skirt), so basically I had three skirts: The fashion fabric, the tulle, and the lining skirt, everything else was pretty much straight forward.
 
Do you know how difficult it was to get these shots without her
pulling off her bow, LOL...
 
  I  used a cotton sateen fabric that has been in my stash for quite some time now, and it had been sitting there because I didn't have a vision for it; until I had my baby girl..  I'm so glad to have saved this fabric for just the perfect project..  For the lining fabric I used a rayon- bemberg, which so happens to be one of my favorites in terms of lining fabric. It's really not much to say about this pattern,  other than it comes together beautifully!


*Here's a clearer shot of the dress*

Just a few pics of the lining, inside shot of the tulle before the skirt lining had been
made... *I forgot to get pic of the invisible zipper*  I'm much
too lazy to take a picture of the back..
 
 

 
  I haven't sewn this week so far; however, I am in the process of gathering patterns and fabric for the up-coming fall season.. Is anyone else switching gears to fall? I would love to hear your plans!

                                      ~ Be blessed and nothin' less and continue to stay fearlessly fierce!

Comments

  1. Love the dress and she is absolutely beautiful! As fas as fall - I live in Chicago-Home of the constant Polar Vortex and we don't want any fall or winter nothing!!!!! Not yet at least - let the halter sewing continue!!!!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! I'm originally from Chi-town, then migrated to Florida; so I know all about those brutal winters lol, and know what you mean about wanting summer to last..

      Delete
    2. When winter get's her "Candice - I'm comin ta join ya honey!" In my Fred Sanford voice!! LOL!!!

      Delete
  2. adorable and so is her birthday dress. Happy Belated Birthday little Momma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful little lady and a gorgeous dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhhh, how beautiful and the dress is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's a cutie, Candice. Wow, has it been a year already?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks L! Yes, the year has flown by, my baby girl is a year already!

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday little one!! She looks beautiful in her designer clothing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGoodness Candice...a real life doll baby! She's a cutie! Love the dress too, it has some nice "lines"! Perfect for a first birthday! You go Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute baby and dress. Happy first birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very very cute and the dress adorable. If I did not already have a few I would be wanting for more:-) Not sewing for fall yet - still hoping summer will last and last and last

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you did an amazing job with the dress. Your baby is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is the cutest! If you ever get a photo of her where you can see more of the dress, let us know, ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and I sure will!

      Delete
  12. The dress is just beautiful but your daughter is even more beautiful than the dress! Well done mom!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's a ruffle kinda of season :Vogue 9243

Guys have you ever started a project, and were quite excited to make the garment, but halfway through finishing, you suddenly lose interest? Well, that was my story. I have never been so ready to call a garment done in my life,lol.


This pattern is seriously not hard at all, technique wise, that is. I mean, once you get over having to hem those four flounces if you do the view that I made, which is view F. However,  I'm just kinda of meh about this project. I  think because I loved McCall's 7542 so much, and was hoping the same for this top too, but nope!



 The neckline on this one is enormously large! I didn't catch this when I tissue fitted the pattern, but I have been more diligent in exercising and eating better, so I don't know; maybe I lost a few pounds, which could have caused the neckline to be large. However, if you look closely at the model on the cover, it looks to be a little large on the model's neckline as well, so something to note.



 Let's get …

I'm just here for the sleeves: M7542

It's no secret, that these sleeves are in everywhere now days! I'm mean, I'm just here for the sleeves myself,lol.

 I loved this pattern at first glance, and I even loved all of the other views that were accompanied within the pattern. I don't think that has every happened for me, now that I  think about it.


 Now looking over the instructions prior to starting this project, I was fairly confident that everything was going to be a breeze, and they were for the most part( however comma) (yes I had to write it out because I would totally say this in real life, lol!)

However, those darn sleeves gave me a run for my money, well not the sleeve itself, but the hem!




 I'm no rookie when it comes to hemming curved hems, or so I thought, because every method I tried was basically like, nope, try again, LOL! 
 After what seemed like an eternity and having to re-cut out an entirely different flounce, I was able to get a decent hem on the flounce of the sleeve. I just used Mc…

The three pattern dress that took a month to finish:Simplicity 8383

Guys so my sewing mojo has been pretty much non- existent-hence the reason it has taken me over a month to finish the hem of this simple dress,lol..  This dress is Simplicity 8383 and I was so gun-ho  in making this dress, that I went out and purchased the pattern and paid full price, as I couldn't bare to wait the shipping out, then only to take a month to hem said dress that I just had to have :)..

This pattern is very easy. If you have any sewing experience, the instructions would not be of importance to you. The view that I made, view C, has only four pattern pieces:front, back, neck band, and the arm hole binding pattern pieces for the arm holes. I made the 16 and added four inches to the dress and I was still only able to do a tiny hem, so be mindful if you're only the taller end like myself. For the fabric, I used a rayon blend knit fabric that I purchased from a local vendor here in Hawaii some time ago, and I really adore the drape and movement of this fabric.



I al…