Skip to main content

Review: Vogue 8772


  I've finally conquered my fear of button down blouses, whew! I must say that button down blouses are not all that hard, just very precise. Precise, in the sense of the edge-stitching, top-stitching; all the above makes for some very precise sewing.. However, I loved it! I really enjoyed the process of seeing this shirt come together.. I've been wanting to sew this pattern, V8772 from the moment of it's release, but had been to intimidated. But I told myself this year that I was going to stretch myself in my sewing, so I had to get over it!
Top left: Button band, top right: Inside shot
Bottom left: Collar stand and collar, bottom right: Sleeve cuff
*My button hole on the collar stand is pointing the wrong way, but
"chile boo ain't nobody got time for that" LOL!

   I do want to point out that I did use the help of the online Craftsy course on shirt making with Pam Howard, awesome class by the way.. Somehow, I still managed to goof up on my sleeve and cuff and ended up with my cuff facing forward, ugh! So, I had to deconstruct the entire sleeve and cuff and re-do it, can we say I was hot, okay! But, I managed to get everything squared away, whew! So, just make sure if you're using a fabric that if you can't tell the right and wrong sides, make sure you clearly mark.. Or you will be hotttt as in this instance upset, okay lol!


    I purchased this fabric from fabric.com last year after seeing Mimi's version and knew I needed this shirt in my life, lol! Everything I needed was in stash, other than the buttons which I purchased from Hancock's two weeks ago. I used a light weight interfacing for the collar the sleeve cuffs, which worked out fabulous, as the shirt still feels lightweight, yet crisp! I didn't make any alterations to this version, other than leave off the back darts, for fear of "Incredible Hulking" out my shirt LOL! In my next version, I plan to go up a size,  and lengthen an inch, only the body of the shirt as I felt the sleeves were long enough.



  Overall, I am more than pleased with this shirt, especially with this being my first button down blouse, and it wasn't as nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. I would highly recommend this pattern as a first blouse to kind of get your feet wet in shirt making. I am getting ready to cut out another version, but first I want to tackle the now OPP pattern Simplicity A1738.  That's all I have ladies, I hope you all are having a wonderful weekend! Be blessed and nothin' less and continue to stay fearlessly fierce! 



 

Comments

  1. The collar/stand part of shirts is what has me shaking in my boots Candice. I've tried several times before but never could make one that lived up to my expectations. You did a nice job on your shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye! I really enjoyed this process of shirt making..

      Delete
  2. Very nice shirt! The gingham looks so fresh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I know I said it before, but your M6884 cardigan is gorgeous!

      Delete
  3. Lovely blouse and great use of the gingham fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your shirt is so fabulous!! I will keep your pointers in mind as I sew my first button down later this year. I plan on buying the same class from Craftsy at some point. Btw, that OOP pattern by Simplicity is another great pick! I can't wait to see what you come up with on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY nice looking shirt, Candice! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely - and I really like the way you styled it. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out fabulous. More button downs in the future? I think so! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a button down. You did a great job. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work. I made this shirt last year but I used challis and it didn't turn out so well. But after seeing yours, I want to make a gingham shirt too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's a ruffle kinda of season :Vogue 9243

Guys have you ever started a project, and were quite excited to make the garment, but halfway through finishing, you suddenly lose interest? Well, that was my story. I have never been so ready to call a garment done in my life,lol.


This pattern is seriously not hard at all, technique wise, that is. I mean, once you get over having to hem those four flounces if you do the view that I made, which is view F. However,  I'm just kinda of meh about this project. I  think because I loved McCall's 7542 so much, and was hoping the same for this top too, but nope!



 The neckline on this one is enormously large! I didn't catch this when I tissue fitted the pattern, but I have been more diligent in exercising and eating better, so I don't know; maybe I lost a few pounds, which could have caused the neckline to be large. However, if you look closely at the model on the cover, it looks to be a little large on the model's neckline as well, so something to note.



 Let's get …

I'm just here for the sleeves: M7542

It's no secret, that these sleeves are in everywhere now days! I'm mean, I'm just here for the sleeves myself,lol.

 I loved this pattern at first glance, and I even loved all of the other views that were accompanied within the pattern. I don't think that has every happened for me, now that I  think about it.


 Now looking over the instructions prior to starting this project, I was fairly confident that everything was going to be a breeze, and they were for the most part( however comma) (yes I had to write it out because I would totally say this in real life, lol!)

However, those darn sleeves gave me a run for my money, well not the sleeve itself, but the hem!




 I'm no rookie when it comes to hemming curved hems, or so I thought, because every method I tried was basically like, nope, try again, LOL! 
 After what seemed like an eternity and having to re-cut out an entirely different flounce, I was able to get a decent hem on the flounce of the sleeve. I just used Mc…

The three pattern dress that took a month to finish:Simplicity 8383

Guys so my sewing mojo has been pretty much non- existent-hence the reason it has taken me over a month to finish the hem of this simple dress,lol..  This dress is Simplicity 8383 and I was so gun-ho  in making this dress, that I went out and purchased the pattern and paid full price, as I couldn't bare to wait the shipping out, then only to take a month to hem said dress that I just had to have :)..

This pattern is very easy. If you have any sewing experience, the instructions would not be of importance to you. The view that I made, view C, has only four pattern pieces:front, back, neck band, and the arm hole binding pattern pieces for the arm holes. I made the 16 and added four inches to the dress and I was still only able to do a tiny hem, so be mindful if you're only the taller end like myself. For the fabric, I used a rayon blend knit fabric that I purchased from a local vendor here in Hawaii some time ago, and I really adore the drape and movement of this fabric.



I al…