Skip to main content

Happy 2014....Shirt making in the process..



     Whew, it's 2014 already, 2013 seemed to have flew by! I  haven't sewn a thing in about three weeks, Ikr, ugh!  I had family come to visit, my mama and my sissy came and we had a complete  blast...The hubby and I even went to Houston to go to the Beyoncé concert, well more or less he just sponsored the trip, because he is not into the whole Beehive movement LOL!!!! Now that the holiday seasons has passed, and I've had ample time to reflect on what I would like to accomplish in my sewing endeavors this year...
On the way to see Beyoncé, and I did happen
to wear a me made garment M6164..
  I realized that after making a pair of trousers, and my first ever welt pockets that I really enjoyed the process of stretching my sewing chops so to speak.. I love the easiest of the easiest garments like the next person, but I felt that I needed more... So of course after making pants and welt pockets, I felt ready to tackle a button down blouse.. I mean, I was already in the shirt making class on Craftsy, which makes like 100th course I've taken lol.. Is anyone hooked on these classes, lol! I had to narrow my choices for my first button up, but in the end I chose V8772...
 
 
Collar point.. I don't think it's too
shabby for a first go.. If not
just let me have my moment hehe!
 The shirt making process is going along fairly smooth, although I did need to remove those pesky back darts. Those Holiday treats have caught up to me, heck, the Halloween, Thanksgiving and everything in between treats have  caught up with me LOL... Nonetheless, those back darts had to go, I really wasn't trying to "Incredible Hulk" out my shirt, no bueno!
 
Inside shot of the collar band after slip-stitching, I highly
recommend slip-stitching this down first before edge-stitching.
 
 
  Well ladies this was just a quick peak at what I'm working on, I still have yet to attach the sleeves or cuffs. Hopefully, I can get to that this weekend.. I hope you had a wonderful Holiday season ladies! Happy New Year to you all, Be blessed and nothin' less and continue to stay fearlessly fierce!



Comments

  1. Happy new year Candice! I look forward to sewing along with you this year. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happyy New Year! I love the V8772 pattern you chose! That one is on my list to make in the future. And your shirt looks like it is coming together nicely. I look forward to seeing the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa, Happy New Year to you as well!

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year Candice! I absolutely love your fabric choice. I see a fabulous shirt on the horizon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Godsgirl T! I am sure hoping for a fabulous shirt, let us all pray lol!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pattern and a very good looking beginning. Best wishes on this project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the gingham print!!! Can't wait to see it all finished.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's a ruffle kinda of season :Vogue 9243

Guys have you ever started a project, and were quite excited to make the garment, but halfway through finishing, you suddenly lose interest? Well, that was my story. I have never been so ready to call a garment done in my life,lol.


This pattern is seriously not hard at all, technique wise, that is. I mean, once you get over having to hem those four flounces if you do the view that I made, which is view F. However,  I'm just kinda of meh about this project. I  think because I loved McCall's 7542 so much, and was hoping the same for this top too, but nope!



 The neckline on this one is enormously large! I didn't catch this when I tissue fitted the pattern, but I have been more diligent in exercising and eating better, so I don't know; maybe I lost a few pounds, which could have caused the neckline to be large. However, if you look closely at the model on the cover, it looks to be a little large on the model's neckline as well, so something to note.



 Let's get …

I'm just here for the sleeves: M7542

It's no secret, that these sleeves are in everywhere now days! I'm mean, I'm just here for the sleeves myself,lol.

 I loved this pattern at first glance, and I even loved all of the other views that were accompanied within the pattern. I don't think that has every happened for me, now that I  think about it.


 Now looking over the instructions prior to starting this project, I was fairly confident that everything was going to be a breeze, and they were for the most part( however comma) (yes I had to write it out because I would totally say this in real life, lol!)

However, those darn sleeves gave me a run for my money, well not the sleeve itself, but the hem!




 I'm no rookie when it comes to hemming curved hems, or so I thought, because every method I tried was basically like, nope, try again, LOL! 
 After what seemed like an eternity and having to re-cut out an entirely different flounce, I was able to get a decent hem on the flounce of the sleeve. I just used Mc…

The three pattern dress that took a month to finish:Simplicity 8383

Guys so my sewing mojo has been pretty much non- existent-hence the reason it has taken me over a month to finish the hem of this simple dress,lol..  This dress is Simplicity 8383 and I was so gun-ho  in making this dress, that I went out and purchased the pattern and paid full price, as I couldn't bare to wait the shipping out, then only to take a month to hem said dress that I just had to have :)..

This pattern is very easy. If you have any sewing experience, the instructions would not be of importance to you. The view that I made, view C, has only four pattern pieces:front, back, neck band, and the arm hole binding pattern pieces for the arm holes. I made the 16 and added four inches to the dress and I was still only able to do a tiny hem, so be mindful if you're only the taller end like myself. For the fabric, I used a rayon blend knit fabric that I purchased from a local vendor here in Hawaii some time ago, and I really adore the drape and movement of this fabric.



I al…