Monday, November 11, 2013

S1696 and M6844 Review!


   I am so glad to have finished these S1696 pants and M6844 cardigan, seeing that these are such a great start for basics in my wardrobe. Let's review S1696 first: I chose S1696 because I've been seeing this style everywhere in stores, and I loved the ankle length (to show case some pretty heels :). Constructing pants are not hard, it is getting the fit right that takes the most time. I used a so-called denim blend from Jo-Ann's, but it's more of a suiting, poly blend, with a 2% stretch... 
 


  I cut the 18 and added  2" inches at the lengthen and shorten lines in order to be able to turn up the recommended amount for the hem. I also used fusible stay- tape for the front and back waistband, the front pockets and the crotch seam, a tip that I learned from taking the craftsy construction course on pants with Sandra Betzina. This really helps your pants to not stretch out, and I've had these pants on all day, and they haven't stretched out, yay! And the best part of it all is that I added real welt pockets, yes!!! I had been so scared of these things but not anymore...
Welt pocket, not too shabby eh?!
  
Blind hand-stitch on pants hem
  

Inside shot of pocket lining...
 
 I used a 5/8 seam allowance, versus using the 1" seam allowance. I knew from my muslin that the 1 inch seam allowance was too much and caused my pants to be much tighter than I needed them to be. I loved the fit of these pants and wouldn't mind few more pairs..This is truly a great pattern one that I am glad I tried.. Okay, now on to M6844, which is a cardigan with an option for a peplum, yes please!


  I found that the sizing on this pattern runs fairly large, and really should have sized down on this pattern. I used a cotton knit that I've had in my stash forever and I skipped the interfacing for the collar band, but opted to use a leftover piece of stretch cotton twill for the facing. This made the collar band have structure without being stiff, I really liked the effect it gave the collar band.. This an extremely ease pattern, that I believe a beginner could whip up with having a little patience...



 Alright, ladies I'm off to see what's up next in my sewing queue! Be blessed and nothin' less and continue to stay fearlessly fierce!

26 comments:

  1. I love both pieces!!! And GREAT job on the pants!! I scooped this same pattern up at Joann's this past Sunday, since it was only $1. Your review makes me excited to try these out for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! I hope you make these up, I know you will like them....

      Delete
  2. You look wonderful as ALWAYS Candice! Great fit on the pants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both pieces, but those pants are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love this look on you! I have to add this pants pattern to my sewing stash! I just purchased the cardi pattern when I saw it on Mimi's blog and now I'm really excited to get started on it! Thanks for the review and tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love both pieces, you looks great and confident.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this and you did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute, cute, cute additions to your wardrobe. I love the details on the pants and you did a fabulous job with the construction. Great pics too...look out now! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you GodsgirlT! I'm trying to get on your level with the pictures, because you be working it :)....

      Delete
  8. Love the pants and the cardigan! Great job on the welt pockets too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look wonderful. I have the cardi pattern...hope it turns out half so nice a yours!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Superb!!!!. the cardigan and the pants are lovely and great job on the welt, I have to try it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aminat! You should totally try welt pockets, they weren't as difficult as I thought they would be...

      Delete
  11. Fabulous outfit! You look amazing. You're so stylish and always look so well put together!!!! Work it girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the cardigan and pants you've made! Bravo! And the welt pockets make those pants. You really did a great job.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...