Friday, October 11, 2013

Review: Lady Skater dress!

 
 
 
I've been crushing on this style of dress for a minute now. It wasn't until recently that I knew that this style dress was referred to as a "skater dress". These "skater dresses" are everywhere! I knew that I wanted to try my hand at my own... The skater dresses are designed to be fairly short, but I'm just not about that life, lol! Well, these thighs of mine won't let me be about that life, lol!
 
I  love a demure ,yet also edgy look..

  Ok, back to the dress, right?! Well, I have been seeing the D.I.Y (do it yourself) versions of these dresses around the blogs and such; one being the Lady Skater dress by Kitschy Coo.. This pattern was the exact dress that I had in mine, so it was a no brainer to try this pattern. This is a PDF pattern that you will have to download, print and tape together. However, it really is not a hard process at all, but I will say just make you sure that you tape both pieces for your neckband (hangs head in shame)... You just don't how many of hours I wasted trying to figure out why my neckband would not fit lol! But I finally figured it out and I was singing " Oh happy day"! LOL..

  



  I knew by looking at my pattern pieces that I was going to have do a little lengthening of the pattern. I added an inch to the bodice front and did a 5/8 inch swayback alteration in the back, and also added 3 inches to the skirt front and back.  I knew that from making a muslin that these alterations were needed.Yes, please do yourself a favor and muslin this dress! I had all kinds of fit issues at first, but nothing that a quick muslin wouldn't solve. This pattern runs from a size 1-8 and in my muslin, I tried to use a 6 and let's just that " I trrrried it"! When I tell y'all that it sounded like pop rocks candy every time I went to put the dress on, umm.. no bueno, lol! I knew that my real garment would have to be a size 7... I do want to add that there is 3/8 seam allowance  throughout the garment; however, I wanted a closer fit for the sleeves, so I sewed them at 5/8 for a closer fit. I also left off the sleeve cuffs, just a personal decision. I loved how the pattern designer included elastic to be sewn in the waist seam, brilliant! It is especially useful if you use a beefier knit, which I used a ponte knit from Hancock's, so the clear elastic helped stabilize the seams..
 



  This is a fairly quick dress to sew a few hours top, especially if you don't have to fuse around with the fit... Make a muslin! Yes, don't say Candice didn't warn you lol! I love this dress, and so glad that I finally have my own "skater dress! I know this dress will probably get worn out, so I know that I should probably make another one...




Looks cute with boots or some killer wedges, right?


   I just want to thank everyone that takes the time to comment and show your support it truly means a lot. You ladies are the best! I hope everyone has a great weekend! Be blessed and nothin' less and continue to stay fearlessly fierce!









26 comments:

  1. Another winner! I want to make a skater style dress too but I'm thinking of combining two patterns that I have in my stash....mostly because I don't feel like printing out another pattern ;)

    It's such a cute dress and you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your version.. The colour is fab and love it with the biker jacket. I know what you mean about that back seam. I want to make another version and work it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sewmanju, thank you so much! I loved your version, it's what made me decide to finally make mine lol! I did find that once I took a deeper seam in the shoulder it helped the backed seam some too...

      Delete
  3. You look great in that dress! My daughter is making a similar dress for herself for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. Thanks Angela! I hope your daughter enjoys making her dress!

      Delete
  4. This dress style is definitely 'you!' Just love it - and a huge thanks for all the tips ... J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Werk...lady...in red.....WERK!!!!! That's HOT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!!! Perfect color and you got a nice fit. Thanks for the heads up on the that back seam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shawnta! Girl, I can't wait to see yours...

      Delete
  7. The dress looks fabulous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very flattering and pretty. Red looks great on you too and the length is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now you've got me wanting a dog-gone red lady skater dress. You look fab in yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye! Girl I'm telling you to go ahead and make this dress, you will love it!

      Delete
  10. Fabulous is all I can say, the style and color suite you so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you look great, I love the color and style, everything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're absolutely correct...this dress would look gorgeous with some boots too! Love the color! I also adore the dress in you last post too, I never get tired of that maxi!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your dress is looking awesome. Your selection for the skater dress is wonderful. it suites you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...