Skip to main content

My First UFO!



UFO! Wow, I didn't even know what that acronym stood for when I first started sewing..For you fearless beginner Divas, such as I was and am very much still am....The acronym UFO stands for an "Unfinished Object"... I often wondered how one could have a UFO lying around the house without prompting some serious guilt or at least some guilt from the sewing fairies lol....Humph, that was until I found myself in the same category as many countless other seamstress, but humph there was and is no guilt to be found!    So you say, just where is that UFO of yours? Good question you ask! Glad you asked.. Well, here is my first UFO!

(In my sewing bin) But in some kinda twisted way I feel like I am now apart of some kind of unspoken sorority, crazy I know lol!

  I started working on S2451 before I left Japan to go visit my family in Florida for a month( btw this was in March)... And when I returned home in April, I found myself not really motivated to finish the skirt, not that it seems too complicated, but I am not as enthusiastic as I  was prior about the project before I left.. I have completed two other projects upon returning home that I need to review, so my mojo is still in full effect( knock on wood) lol! I just think that I was put off due to my less than stellar invisible zip application..Everything went in perfectly, as in this was my first go at an invisible zipper...

 

 looks pretty invisible to me, but wait for it!




                                                                    

I had gotten a little to comfortable in my nonexistent invisible zip skills,
but rest assured I will get this  zip in perfectly!That is when I can move this out
of my sewing bin!

  I am however, going to get this skirt completed because this pattern does offer a few nuggets that I need to learn and one day master.. For instance, I need to learn and perfect my invisible zipper application as well as my hand sewing skills, which are very weak right now....Oh, and while we are on hand sewing does anyone know a great tutorial on putting on hook and eyes, I know how remedial, but I need the guidance..So, if any of you Divas know or would be willing to do a tutorial on this I would be forever grateful :)


Well, Divas that's all I have for now, getting ready to get to work on this UFO so it can become an FO! Also, thank you Divas for all your beautiful comments on my latest  dress it really means a lot to me.. I was also featured on Vogue's Facebook page oh yeah!..To me it's the little things that make me smile! You ladies are wonderful!  Continue to be fearless and know you were fearfully and wonderfully made! Now go ahead work that runway Divas! Be blessed and nothin' less!

Comments

  1. Welcome to the club. I have 5 on the ironing board

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am new to the sewing blog world...hadn't yet heard of a UFO...but i surely have a few. mine have been in a bin for a few YEARS, though. lol you are giving me the courage to take on my projects and complete them!

    be well!

    ps...congrats on the vogue facebook picture!! awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica Bunker, being interviewed on the Blue Gardenia, recommends this site for sewing an invisible zip. It might be worth a try.

    http://thesewingdivas.wordpress.com/2006/11/08/sewing-invisible-zipper/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your invisible zipper insertion looks great, except for the extra fabric. That is how my skirt looked before I realized the pattern called for a lapped zipper. Check the instructions. The left side of the zipper should lap over the right slightly. It's an easy fix.


    To fix this, I unzipped the zipper, measured out 5/8 inch from the raw edge on the right side of the left zipper, folded and pinned it so that the wrong side of the zipper tape touched the wrong side of the skirt, basted the wrong side of the zipper tape, then topstitched on the right side by following the basting stiches. I then ironed what I did.

    I hope that answers your question. You can refer to the directions for any problems. Essentially, the only thing I added to make my zipper lap over was the folded 5/8 seam allowance. The rest of the instructions above were per the pattern.

    I love the skirt fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies!2c.marie let's get rid of these UFO's lol!@ Karin thank you for the link I will have to check it out! @ Vanessa thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have any UFOs yet........I have waddlers that turn into lining material and facings for other projects lol
    If I sat them aside until I learned how to fix them then I guess I would have some UFOs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's a ruffle kinda of season :Vogue 9243

Guys have you ever started a project, and were quite excited to make the garment, but halfway through finishing, you suddenly lose interest? Well, that was my story. I have never been so ready to call a garment done in my life,lol.


This pattern is seriously not hard at all, technique wise, that is. I mean, once you get over having to hem those four flounces if you do the view that I made, which is view F. However,  I'm just kinda of meh about this project. I  think because I loved McCall's 7542 so much, and was hoping the same for this top too, but nope!



 The neckline on this one is enormously large! I didn't catch this when I tissue fitted the pattern, but I have been more diligent in exercising and eating better, so I don't know; maybe I lost a few pounds, which could have caused the neckline to be large. However, if you look closely at the model on the cover, it looks to be a little large on the model's neckline as well, so something to note.



 Let's get …

I'm just here for the sleeves: M7542

It's no secret, that these sleeves are in everywhere now days! I'm mean, I'm just here for the sleeves myself,lol.

 I loved this pattern at first glance, and I even loved all of the other views that were accompanied within the pattern. I don't think that has every happened for me, now that I  think about it.


 Now looking over the instructions prior to starting this project, I was fairly confident that everything was going to be a breeze, and they were for the most part( however comma) (yes I had to write it out because I would totally say this in real life, lol!)

However, those darn sleeves gave me a run for my money, well not the sleeve itself, but the hem!




 I'm no rookie when it comes to hemming curved hems, or so I thought, because every method I tried was basically like, nope, try again, LOL! 
 After what seemed like an eternity and having to re-cut out an entirely different flounce, I was able to get a decent hem on the flounce of the sleeve. I just used Mc…

Not singing the blues, but lovin' this chambray blue dress: Simplicity 1059 Review

Happy New Year y'all! It's a new year, full of new possibilities. In looking back on 2016,I must say that I really had a great year, introspectively speaking.

 In 2016, I really embraced all of who I am; learned more about myself and being okay with that! I say being being okay with that, simply because, we tend to allow ourselves to be boxed in, or we allow others to box us into their mold of who we should be according to their perception of us.





2016 taught me, that it's quite okay if you don't fit in a box, that truly being "Fearlessly Fierce"  ,  means to walk in "YOUR PURPOSE"! 
 For instance, I/you, may never be a seamstress that plays by the rules, making a muslin until you get the perfected fit or have the most couture finishes. 
 That's okay too! 2017, I plan to walk even more fearless in my purpose, in whatever capacity that it may be  for me..


 I am wishing each and everyone of you a wonderful and prosperous New Year. I hope that this …